Seattle Immigration Attorney With Over 12 Years of Experience

The Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates Seattle can handle many different types of Immigration Law matters for you.

Immigration Law | The Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates in Seattle

The attorneys at Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates have developed through experience and education the skills necessary to assist you with all your legal needs.

Our Immigration Law team has represented clients from all over the world and has the expertise and know-how to bring cases to a successful conclusion.

Real-Life Experience in Handling Immigration Issues 

Located in Seattle with a presence in Washington and New York, Scott and Smith Law offers the services of an attorney with over 12 years of experience in the field of immigration law. In addition, we have a legal team at your disposal, the majority of whom were born outside the United States and have since become US citizens. Our personal experiences with the immigration process give us a unique insight into the law and empathy for you; we understand the issues you are facing because we have dealt with them ourselves.

Experience and Credentials to Get Results

Need to replace text here.

You Can Always Expect Excellent Service

We put great value in efficiency. Every client desires that their immigration matter is resolved quickly and so we pride ourselves in fulfilling their need with both competence and speed.

Why You Need An Immigration Attorney in Seattle

If you or a family member wishes to come or stay in the United States, you need an experienced immigration law attorney by your side to help you through the complex immigration process. At the Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates, our team is comprised of individuals from all over the world who can empathize and provide top notch legal representation for your immigration needs. Call our Seattle office or contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our expert immigration lawyers.

Common Immigration Law Cases We Handle

Family-Based Petitions

One path for immigration to the United States is through a family-based petition. If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you can sponsor a foreign family member for a green card. In some situations, the spouse and children of the foreign family member may also count as derivative beneficiaries of this process. Family-based petition are categorized as either immediate relative or family preference.
Immediate relative petitions are spouses, parents, and unmarried children of the petitioner in the United States. There are an unlimited number of immediate family petitions available every year. All other family-based petitions are considered family preference, and there are only a certain number of these applications that are approved annually. The Immigration and Nationality Act sets the limit on how many family preference visas may be issued to foreign nationals every year.

Naturalization and Citizenship

Naturalization occurs when a foreign citizen meets the requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to become a U.S. citizen. A foreign national must apply using an Application for Naturalization as well as pass a naturalization test that includes sections on English, U.S. History, and civics. Under the law, you may qualify for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for at least five years, have been a permanent resident for three years and the spouse of a U.S. citizen, or qualified through service in the United States military. There are additional paths to U.S. citizenship through naturalization, and a knowledgeable immigration attorney can review the facts of your case to determine the right path for you.

VAWA Applications

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows for certain foreign nationals to petition for lawful permanent resident status if they are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty by one of the following people:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse
  • A U.S. citizen parent, son, or daughter
  • A lawful permanent resident spouse or former spouse
  • A lawful permanent resident parent

A VAWA petitioner can submit an application without the abusive family member’s knowledge or consent. It is important to note that applying for permanent resident status under VAWA is different than submitting a U or T visa for victims of other crimes, and an experienced immigration attorney can help protect your privacy.

Non-immigrant Applications

Non-immigrant applications are reserved for tourists, students, business travelers, and future spouses of U.S. citizens. Depending on the purpose of your visit to the United States, this type of petition might be right for you. B-1 and B-2 visas are reserved for business travelers and tourists, while F-1 and M-1 visas are for students pursuing an educational visa.

If you are the fiancé of a current U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you can apply for a K-1 future spouse visa. In order to qualify for this visa, you must plan to marry and live in the United States with your future spouse. This visa allows you to travel to the United States and marry your fiancé within 90 days of arrival. After the marriage, a spouse can then apply for an adjustment of status to get a green card. However, it is important to note that K-1 visas cannot be extended and a person can face deportation if the couple does not marry within the 90-day time period.


In addition to helping our clients apply for visas or citizenship status, our experienced attorneys also help clients apply for immigration waivers that will allow them to avoid the penalties of being inadmissible or deported due to a violation of law. Grounds of inadmissibility refer to certain situations that would ban a person from entering the United States, such as health-related grounds, criminal activity, misrepresentation, or unlawful presence. In addition, people who are granted a green card risk having it revoked and being deported if they are discovered violating the law, such as drug possession or other crimes.

Successful application of a waiver can mean the difference between being allowed to stay in the United States or being banned from entry. Some of the most common waivers for inadmissibility or criminal violations include:

  • I-601 Hardship waiver
  • I-601A Provisional waiver
  • Criminal Conviction waiver
  • Misrepresentation or Fraud waiver
  • Unlawful Presence waiver.

Every case for waivers is unique so be sure to talk to an experienced Seattle immigration lawyer about your case.

Call or Us Today

With over 12 years of experience navigating the often complex process of immigration in Washington state, the Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates at Law Seattle possess the knowledge and empathy to help you with your immigration case. Call the office or contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys to discuss your legal needs.

Our Seattle Office

Scott and Smith Attorneys at Law PLLC

5608 17th Ave NW, #783

Seattle, WA 981077

Call: (360) 331-7101

Talk to the attorneys at Law Offices of Andrew F. Scott and Associates to schedule a consultation. To schedule an appointment, please contact us at 360-331-7101. Located in Seattle, we handle immigration law cases throughout Island County.

Seattle Immigration Lawyer

Practice areas

Over 30 years specializing in: